Calling all TY students for 2020/2021!!
Transition Year 2020/2021
Expression of interest form is now available here:
The TY Sailing Member Program has run for a number of years now, very successfully between the Dun Laoghaire clubs and has proved to be a great way to keep our teenagers involved in sailing, prepare them for instructing and build lifelong friendships so we really hope they get involved.
We have concocted a fantastic program for the 20/21 Transition Year (TY) students! It has been challenging to establish a TY programme whilst the current Covid Restrictions are in place as a result all dates, numbers, and prices may be subject to change and cancellation depending on the then-current Covid Situation.
Please note that the TY Program can only run if supported by volunteer parents. We will be looking for your assistance throughout the year and you will also be asked to volunteer during individual course registration sign-ups…
A summary of what we are planning to offer during the school year is provided below.
PLEASE STUDY IT CAREFULLY, THEN COMPLETE THE EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FORM HERE
Please complete the Expression of Interest form by 10th July 2020 so we have an idea of our population.
You will be asked to provide certain details but this is NOT a formal sign-up for each course.
SOME IMPORTANT POINTS OF NOTE IN RELATION TO THE PROGRAMME:
- Each course and module is available independently so you can pick and choose as you like.
- Formal sign-up will happen for each activity through the central site.
- Courses must be paid for on booking.
- If courses are oversubscribed we may keep waiting lists and or put on additional courses.
- Please understand that deadlines must be observed. Once we reach a deadline date, we will book and commit to the necessary resources for those who have signed up to that course at that point.
- Coaches and facilities have to be paid in advance, therefore, if you book and pay for a course and your son/daughter cannot attend we will not be in a position to offer a refund as we will have planned and budgeted to run courses on the basis of the committed bookings.
- Similarly, because of the scale of the programme and the need to book resources, there will be no option for late entries. However, there are multiple running’s of several modules so hopefully, the sailor can be an early sign up to a subsequent course.
- In some elements we have restrictions on numbers and courses will be allocated on a strictly first-come-first-served basis.
- The program can cover up to 50 sailors and is being run by volunteers. So, to that end please understand that the need to have clarity and structure for the benefit of all.
Catharine Ennis, RIYC.
Harriet Walker and Marc Little, RSTGYC.
Rebecca Hall and Sarah Flood, NYC.
Please send any questions to
|TY PROGRAMME 2020 / 2021|
|Pizza Night – This is an important introduction to the TY programme for all sailors and will include a talk on Tall Ships and Sailability.||
|3rd September 2020 RIYC6.30pm|
|Action /Adventure CourseAction Adventure Course:
3 days with different activities based in Dublin, followed by BBQ at club.
Example activities are: Learning to row at Island Bridge, kayaking to Dalkey Island, wakeboarding, Ringo Rides or paddle boarding with Surfdock
|ApproxCost (incl. BBQ) approx. €135
Minimum 10 people.
|14-16TH September 2020BBQ 14/15/16
|1720 Sailing – 23,30 Sept,7,14 Oct.4 Week Course -Wed afternoons||
|Team Racing – Saturday Afternoons10/17/Oct
|Approx €90 TBC
Maximum 24 people
|RSTGYCTeam Racing Prize Giving, 28th November
Team Racing Prize Giving ,March TBC
|Navigation Course – 5 weeks This course will run twice provisionally Wednesday 4,11,18,25,November 2020
Wednesday 6,13,20,27,January 2021
6:30pm to 9:30pm each evening
Max 12 Participants
|Rib Course – This course will be offered 4 times (Please note students must be 16 years of age to participate)25,26,27 Sept
2,3,4 Oct 2020
26,27,28 March 2020(further dates after Christmas can be added for those turning 16 later in the year)
|First Aid – This course will be offered 3 times for one full weekend day ( Sunday) dates to be confirmed. But hoping Dec,Jan,Feb.||
|VHF Jan/May (Max 12 persons)||
|Mark Laying Course – March||TBC|
|Heir Island Course 18-24th April 2021||Approx €550 TBC|
|Child SafeguardingThis course will be offered 3 times during the year on Thursday evenings for 3 hours.
Dates to be confirmed but provisional
22ndOct,28th Jan,25th March
|€15Minimum 8 people, max15||RSGYC,RIYC,NYC|
|Off -Shore – ( Sail Training Ireland)Maybe 27/3/21-2/4/21 Cork to Dublin
Maybe 3/4/21-9/4/21 Dublin- Belfast
Maybe 10/04/21 – 16/4/21 Belfast – Dublin
Pelican of London Ocean Science Voyage
|Pre-Instructor CourseWill be offered 20/21, 8 places per course only ( 2 weekends)
One training weekend with testing the following weekend.
|Approx €220 for Pre training and Test|
|Thomas Chaix B Academy||May 2021 Exact dates TBC|