We are looking forward to 2021 and the start of the program in early May. We will be running new courses starting every week with weekend and weekday evening options available.
We have been working hard to update our practices and implement all recommendations and guidelines as set out in Irish Sailing’s Return to Sailing Scheme Phase 3 in order to offer a safe and enjoyable learn to sail experience.
- All classes will be operating as per the ‘Pod’ system as set out in the above guidelines in conjunction with reduced class sizes.
- We will be operating with strict sanitization procedures before all activities and immediately afterwards for both equipment and sailing gear.
- There will be no shared gear, your gear is yours for the duration of your course when it will then be fully sanitized and cleaned as per HSA guidelines at the end of your course.
- In the RSGYC strict social distancing is observed ashore, there are sanitization stations at all entries and exits to the building and forecourt.
- Only members and their guests are permitted using their membership cards with all access information recorded electronically to comply with contact tracing requirements
- A strict and regular cleaning regime is in place on all sailing days and when the Club is open.
- While changing rooms will be reopening soon, numbers will be limited by the 2m social distancing requirement and all areas will clearly marked out and defined. For the current phase there are no shower facilities available.
The safety of our Club members, staff and guests is paramount and your strict adherence to the Irish Sailing guidelines and ours are expected. We at the RSGYC want everyone to stay safe while having fun.
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to go sailing in Dublin Bay? Think about healthy outdoor exercise, which can at times be exhilarating and also very relaxing. Add the attractions of a friendly buzz around the Apres-Sail BBQ ashore. It’s the perfect antidote to a busy week at the office. With our uSail adult training programme, we tailor our courses to aspiring sailors with different levels of experience from complete beginners to experienced sailors. Training is on our Club 1720 Sports boats. These boats are safe and fun to sail which make them ideal boats to learn on. There is plenty of room for 4-5 sailors and a coach. The boats are stable and fast, so you can be guaranteed an enjoyable, exciting and safe time learning to sail. Positions are rotated so you get to know all jobs on the boat and our coaches will be sure to make the training relevant to your level of ability as to make the most of your time on the water.
At the end of the course, we expect you to be competent enough to crew on a keelboat. You will be added to a private “uSail Alumni” Whatsapp group where we message you regularly about spaces to crew on members boats.
uSail – Adult Sailing Course “Let’s get you on the water!”
Why not experience sailing at the Royal St George?
We have put together a number of programmes to introduce you to sailing and to the club.
- uSail Start Sailing (€340)
- uSail Racing (€280)
- uSail Seamanship & Boathandling (€280)
- uSail Try Sailing (€40 p/ person inc. €20 discount off a uSail course)
1. uSail Start Sailing
- No experience necessary. uSail training courses are for adults of all ages
- Courses will be run throughout the season enabling you to feel the ‘buzz’ of both sailing and the club itself
- Each course will be short, intensive and sociable
- The uSail Start Sailing course consists of four or five training sessions over 2-3 weeks
- Evening courses consist of 5 sessions and are held on week-nights after work (Tuesdays & Thursdays 5.30/6.00 – 9.00pm)
- Weekend courses consist of 4 longer sessions on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings (9.30 – 1.30pm)
- On completing your course, we introduce you to members who are keen to share their love of sailing.
- The RSGYC is an Irish Sailing approved Training Centre
- Quality instruction & tuition, with individual feedback
- An instructor and up to four uSailors per boat.
- Most training is on 1720 keelboats (which don’t capsize).
- Also available are J80s, Squibs, Cruisers, and Power-boats
- Cost includes apres-sailing meal/bbq after each session
Click here to check out/ book the next available course
2. uSail Racing
- Take your sailing to the next level
- Racing will take place on the club’s modern J80 or 1720 keelboats
- For those who have already completed the uSail Start Sailing course
- Experience the excitement and thrills of *Dublin Bay Sailing Club races
- Take part in four DBSC races: Thursday series, or Saturday series
* Dublin Bay Sailing Club Series Racing
This series includes all boats in Dun Laoghaire and can have over 100 boats competing at times!
Click here to check out/ book the next available course
3. uSail Seamanship
Broaden your sailing experience. Learn the basic skills to go sailing beyond your home waters. Sail on larger keel boats and learn how your skills transfer to larger boats. Basic sailing skills are the same, but there are many aspects of boat handling and seamanship to learn, and this takes time, patience and plenty of practice. Our 16 hour uSail Seamanship Course will provide plenty of training, practice and fun experience.
You will learn how to:
- Adjust sails in different sailing conditions
- Leaving/picking up a mooring under power and sail
- Coming alongside under power and sail
- Start and stop the engine, and maneuver under power
- Drop and raise an anchor
- Recover a Man Overboard and other safety drills
- Use weather forecasts, tide tables and nautical charts
- …. And more.
- This course is an essential stepping stone on your way to becoming a Day skipper and building the skills necessary to achieve the International Certificate of Competence for Operators of Pleasure Craft (ICC). The ICC is a requirement when you go to charter a yacht abroad.4. uSail Try Sailing
We have a great Corporate package available for larger groups. Please enquire with Karin in the Sailing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details follow the links:
Join our Facebook page and check out what else is going on in the club!
For More Info just email Karin Ryan at email@example.com Or call 01-280 1811
We will be delighted to assist you with the start of your Lifetime of Sailing Adventure.