Are you unsure if you have the boating experience to confidently take the Irish Sailing National Powerboat Certificate course?
No problems. Please review the following and see what you think:
Core Experience from Introduction to Powerboating or similar experience
The participant should be able to:
- Describe the different types of Personal Flotation Device available, and identify the most appropriate for use on different activities and when they should be used
- To correctly don and fit the PFDs used during the course.
- Select what clothing and footwear to wear while afloat
- Stow and safely secure equipment on board.
- Identify and demonstrate the use of the following equipment – mooring lines, fenders, anchor and warp, boathook, bilge-pump, bailer, paddles or oars
- Identify and describe the use of following equipment – fire extinguisher, first aid kit, flares, whistle
- Safely refuel a boat, stow fuel tanks & connect fuel lines
- Undertake appropriate pre-start checks on the engine and hull
- Be able to start and stop the engine
- To steer the boat ahead and astern while making allowances for windage and current.
- To anticipate the distance the boat will carry when in neutral
- Have demonstrated that they can keep an effective lookout while underway.
- To describe the effect that excessive wash may have on moored boats, river / canal banks, wildlife and other water users such as fishermen.
Still not sure? No worries. Take a moment to complete the form at this link and our Sailing Manger will be in touch to discuss and answer any questions that you may have.
I want to book- what do i do?
You will be afloat in no time.