Dip your toes into the virtual waters with some online nautical entertainment brought to you by Irish Sailing.
As we are locked down at home Irish Sailing have provided us with some nautical themed activities to keep us busy during these unprecedented times with Shore Leave . This website features activities like online quizzes, sailing webinars and podcasts. Below is a list of the tops picks of things to do from the website.
Brain Games & Story Telling
1. Lockdown Sailing Rules Quiz
For the racing rules experts out there.
2 .Boaty Brain
Word Search or Crossword – a new puzzle published every Friday
3.Let’s Get Quizzical
A 5 minute challenge to answer all the questions – you can take a new challenge every Friday.
Features every few days on all social media channels – Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
Guess where we are and you might win an Irish Sailing baseball cap 🧢
5. Together we are stronger
UK Sailmakers Animated rules quiz
6.Stories from the waterside
We all have a story from our time by the water, on the sea, lake, river or pond. What is yours? Share your sailing story with the world here .
Podcast & Webinars
1. North Sails – Webinar Schedule –. #SuperyachtSaturday LIVE with the J Class – Saturday, April 25th. Melges 24 – Monday, April 27th. Let’s Talk 18-Foot Skiffs – Tuesday, April 28th & much more
2. Premiere of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston: Sailing Legend: This documentary looks into the man who became the first person to sail solo and non-stop around the world. The RSGYC proudly welcomed Sir Robin a while back for a very informative dinner and talk. We will look forward to having him back again soon.
3.RORC Time Over Distance Series – ‘For Volume 2, Louay Habib is joined by Alexis Loison and Jack Bouttell. Listen to their achievements as they talk through sailing some of the biggest races in the world.’ These are recorded and now on Facebook.
4.Yachts and Yachting Future of Sailing – UK centered but relevant here too. A series of webinars throughout the last 12 months with the aim of increasing sailing participation, giving clubs inspiration to boost numbers and increase activity on the water .
5.Tom MacSweeney’s Island Nation – Tom MacSweeney, MarineJournalist writes this page in THIS ISLAND NATION of Ireland. All marine matters of interest. Tom’s podcast can be found on Spotify, Apple Podcast & Mixcloud
Other podcasts you maybe interested in;
- RCC Pilotage Webinar – Crossing the Atlantic
- Using Navionics For Power and Sail
- Docking Techniques For Power and Sail
- Using Technology For Inshore Racing
Tips, Tricks and Championships
1. Check out the Irish eSailing National Championship here.
2 .Safeguarding Training – You can now complete this process online
3. SailCork – Online Passage Planning – Join RSGYC friend Eddie English in a series of interactive courses as he ventures from Youghal to Kerry. A bit of armchair sailing.
4. SailCork – Tips For Managing Your Boat and Crew – Eddie regularly posts short videos with some tips and tricks.